Saturday, October 23, 2010

A Chilly Friday

1. A Broken Key


I have to be at work at 8:30 every day but usually have about a half hour of prep time before meeting with students. However, this morning, I was meeting with a student AT 8:30. So, it was more important than ever that I be on time....


...and of course I was running late. I kissed Hubs goodbye and ran out the door. Just as I pass the oh so convenient gas station down the street from our house and get on the highway, my gas light comes on. 


I pull off the next exit and find a gas station, thinking to myself that the poor little girl who just can't grasp the concept of tally marks is going to just have to wait a few more minutes. I pull up to the gas station and begin pumping. When I finished, I get out my keys to start my car and see something that looks like this:
not my key, but close enough
My car key had broken off in my ignition! How does that happen?! I immediately panic and call Hubs. He doesn't answer. So I try to use the key stump to start my car. After a few tries, I guess I finally got it lined up with the broken part and the car starts! Hooray! I drive to work (arrive just on time) and hope that I'll be able to do it again when I leave.

I'm able to start the car again when I leave work and I get home. I call a locksmith to come and remove it. I don't know how it works but it seems easy enough right? I just need the piece of the key to come out of the ignition. You'd think they just take a super strong magnet or something to suck it out or a pair of tweezers to gently take it out.

Locksmith Man was at the house working on getting the key piece out for THREE hours before I tell him that I have to go to work (job #2.) He says I can drive the car and he'll come to my work and finish it there. (Keep in mind that the key piece was still stuck in the ignition at this point....what has he been doing other than pulling pieces off of my car?!) Ok fine. Just get it done.

I get out of work hours later, get in my car and NOTHING had been done. I call him and he says he wasn't able to get there and he'll meet me at my house to finish it. 15-20 minutes of work left MAX. He meets me at the house and works for another hour or so. Then he tells me that he's going to have to come back tomorrow.

Seriously though, how does this happen?

2. Sam's Popcorn

Up in Vermont where Hubs comes from there is a place called Sam's. Sam's is a sporting goods store and we've driven by it plenty of times but I never really gave it a second thought.


source

Well, a few weeks ago we were hanging out with our friends A&D. D is from Hubs' hometown as well. They were talking about how every time they go to Vermont to visit his parents, they stop by Sam's to get free popcorn. "WHAT?!" I say to Hubs. "You've never taken me to get free popcorn!!"

Hubs argued that it wasn't even that good and that he has taken me plenty of other places that are much better. True, but...I like popcorn. and I LOVE free.

So this past weekend, while we were in VT, Hubs finally took me to Sam's.

and it didn't disappoint! Of course, it was no fancy restaurant or anything but it was a nice little snack and another Vermont experience that I guess you just have to do!

3. Babies

Hubs and I found this documentary on Netflix on Demand called Babies. It follows the lives of four babies around the world from San Fransisco, Tokyo, Mongolia, and Namibia. You know I love babies so I couldn't resist watching it.

source
Along with the obvious cuteness factor, it was so interesting to see the different lives that each of these babies live. The parenting styles in each of these cultures were SO different because of the culture and climate of where they live. It was also interesting to see the huge contrast between the modern, technology driven cultures of the U.S. and Japan versus the rural, poor settings of Mongolia and Namibia. Even though the babies all live in such different atmospheres, you can still see that the parents of all these children still have the same ultimate goals for their babies (more or less.)

I definitely recommend that you check out this movie!

4. Slippers

With the recent cold weather come slipper season! I love love LOVE slippers and have officially pulled mine out for the winter. 

source
These are my favorite slippers. I love them because they are furry and don't just keep my feet warm but my ankles too! What are your favorite slippers?

5. Kindergartners

I know last week I said I like fifth graders but this week with my new job as well as my other job I've been working more and more with kindergartners. I've always been a little afraid of kindergartners. While they're cute, they just seemed a little too hard to handle. Now that I'm getting used to them, I'm liking them more and more!

A few funny kindergarten quotes:

  • "Mrs. D, are you Mr. D's wife?" (Mr. D is the 60 year old gym teacher)

  • after telling them a story where I mentioned my mom: "You have a mom?!"

  • "Excuse me Mrs. D, do you know how to tie shoes?"

  • "Do you know if there are any $1 books at the book fair? Sometimes I find dollar bills laying around my house."

  • and this last one is kind of a cheat because it was actually a third grader but I just had to include it: "Mrs. D, how do you spell 'psycho deranged killer?" (ok, that one might be a little creepy...)
 
Have a wonderful weekend!

2 comments:

  1. You asked! These are my favorite slippers: http://www.uggaustralia.com/productDetails.aspx?gID=w&productID=5612&model=Dakota

    So cozy! Hope everything works out with your car key... that's just bizarre!

    Love you lots,
    Faithful follower

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I love the quote from the third grader! and I can't wait for next week!

    ReplyDelete